- Not sure?…
Reality checks are harsh but sometimes help us see the whole picture. Ask a friend, your spouse or better yet….ask your teen. You may be surprised by their answer.
I believe parents have the best intentions to be an effective one. Sometimes life, jobs, pressures have us acting less than.
A quote I love from Carl W. Buehner…
“They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”
Some tips to happier parenting:
- Stop and breathe before you react. You can‘t take back words said in anger.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Your teen is learning about life. Give them a soft place to land when they mess up.
- Remember back when they were in the Terrible Twos and trying to assert their independence? Insert an image of that sweet, innocent baby face on your teen and be gentle. This is your child and you love them.
- Adolescence is a stage…..it too will pass.